**RESOLVED** What to buy, direction to go in

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

chris

**RESOLVED** What to buy, direction to go in

Post by chris »

Hi all,
I am in the process of retrofitting a Supermax YCM30 from the mid 80's and hope to get some advice on the best way to move forward and to hear from anyone who may have gone through similar desicions to make.

Just about to check my servos out per the tech doc, anyone know where I can get used/rebuild or have mine fixed If there is an issue. (baldor on Y(29in-lb), Dynetics(may be the wrong name, machine is not in front of me) on Z (19in-lb)and X(28in-lb)

I am sold on buying the Mach3 kit and trying/buying the windows version of CNC11.
Will windows be a poor choice? Any body using this for large programs?
PC would be dedicated to running CNC11.
What is the price to upgrade to CNC11 lynux on a SSHD, and is this a possible upgrade path if I want in the future?

I prefer to run on scales in stead of encoders.
I am looking for higher accuracy, not so worried about fast cycle times. Anybody doing this or have some experiances to share.
Waste of money/effort?

I plan to start out on DC servos I have, but want to upgrade to AC Servos from Teco once my machine is up and debugged. (30in-lb AC servo w driver is ~650.00) Anybody use these? (TSTA-20C)

My machine has a CVT to change spindle speed, If I run an VFD do I set my VCT to some middle setting and calibrate or better to change out to cogged drive pullies? Also is there a prevision in the software if I put a sensor on the back gear lever to automaticly change the calibration and reverse the direction for low range?

Last, can CNC11 software display text to the operator? (to remind myself what to do next, manual tool changes, better than a paper check list as I may make an error)

Thanks in advace,
Best regards,
Chris

If Ajax is watching/reading, my credit card is all warmed up. :)
diycncscott

Re: What to buy, direction to go in

Post by diycncscott »

Hi Chris,

Yes, you can display messages to the operator in multiple ways.

This code: Input "Please enter the depth for the next pass" #100

Will display a message (text in within quotes) and a box for the user to enter a value into.

When a value is entered and cycle start pressed, the program will continue

Another way:

M225 #100 "Insert a 1/2" ball mill\n Don't forget to clamp the part after the tool change"

Will display on seperate lines:
Insert a 1/2" ball mill
Don't forget to clamp the part after the tool change

#100 would be set equal to the number of seconds that you wish the message displayed.
Setting #100 to a value of 0 forces the operator to press cycle start to continue

There are other ways as well - you can write a loop to flash text, prompt for a string (operator name) etc...

Your motors should be fine. I know of others that have used the TECO motors/drives with our stuff but I don't have any personal experience